Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rimfires.

User

Default Re: Rimfires.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Rimfire rifles all have some very specific ammo preferences. It may be a good idea to test as many different types as you can through your rifle. Just shoot about 20 rounds of a specific type before recording the groups. They need to be "seasoned" to a specific type to produce the best results.

Couldn't agree more. My Brno Model 2 was fed a very mixed diet of 20+ loads in an effort to find the most accurate one and the best price to accuracy option. Shot out at least 50 of each and recorded the groups from the last 20 shots per load. The most accurate turned out to be TenX and the best price to accuracy was neck and neck between American Eagle and Magtech. Bought as much of each as I could afford and now have > 5 years worth at current rate of consumption.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I got the Remington very recently and have only fired 50 rounds through it. The trigger is crisp and the barrel appears to have been re-blued. Accuracy is so-so with the ammunition I have tested, Eley HVHP and S&B SV, both types print ±1.5" groups at 50 meters. Reliability seems to be ok, I serve for the intended purpose.
    The screw/bolt in front of the trigger holding the stock on, loosen it till metal work rattles in stock. Shoot a group like that, then tighten it somewhat shoot group, then tighten it silly tight, again a group, see if there is a change.
    I do not know if its a peculiarity that only Cody's Remington had, but it shot at its absolute best when the metal work was rattle in stock loose and absolutely terrible when torqued up correctly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The screw/bolt in front of the trigger holding the stock on, loosen it till metal work rattles in stock. Shoot a group like that, then tighten it somewhat shoot group, then tighten it silly tight, again a group, see if there is a change.
    I do not know if its a peculiarity that only Cody's Remington had, but it shot at its absolute best when the metal work was rattle in stock loose and absolutely terrible when torqued up correctly.
    That indicates that the barrelled action was under stress when tightened. A proper bedding job should fix that. I find that most wooden stock factory rifles can benefit from a proper bedding job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    That indicates that the barrelled action was under stress when tightened. A proper bedding job should fix that. I find that most wooden stock factory rifles can benefit from a proper bedding job.
    Yes you are quiet correct, but since the rifle mentioned had a throw away stock on it ( the stock was one I actually found on a rubbish pile and recognized it as the same as mine - it was in a bad state and I decided to use it till Cody was old enough for his original perfect condition stock(was 5 or 6 then)) and it was a bolt action, tube magazine rifle - not a easy stock to bed.

Side note, what are the chances of buying a rifle from 1940 abouts with a perfect stock on it, and worrying about your 6 year old scarring the stock, then going somewhere and finding that exact stock with a plastic tube on it as a throw away that some kids had used as a toy rifle.
    The original stock was treated 8 years ago with a layer of that aluminium tape under the touching points - still shoots perfect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    your post comes at the right time , i own a .22 Anschutz , to be honest i dont use it that much although my kids have all grown up shooting thousands of rounds through it. i have my eye on a .22 Hornet although i am struggling to justify the purchase .anyone have any experience with a .22 Hornet ?
    Rigby the Hornet is my favorite caliber. The versatility and the cheapness of reloading has made it my farm bakkie rifle. Also very light. What it is capable of taking down is in a different league to a .22LR. The moderate velocity keeps the cup and core bullets together better that a 222 or 223 and penetration is often better with the 45 grain pill.

User

A .22LR rifle or handgun is the very next thing on my shopping list.
    Loads of sport shooting / plinking @ super low costs here i come.

Enjoy yours ...

Banned

I have a .22 Browning Gold Trigger that want R4000 for - I have two.

Banned

SBB
    The only reason I do not have a 22 Hornet is because I have never heard a positive remark regarding it in regard to usefulness. The Hornet is one of the from my childhood days dream rifles and then one of my adult need to for fill goals rifles that was crushed by always hearing that it is fun to shoot, but thats all. No use for anything other than Guinea Fowl and small rabbits.

I am by no means contradicting your information, I have never even shot one, only wanted one because as a kid I had a live round on my bed side table. Treasure!

Have a .204 -.22 - .223 ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    SBBThe only reason I do not have a 22 Hornet is because I have never heard a positive remark regarding it in regard to usefulness. The Hornet is one of the from my childhood days dream rifles and then one of my adult need to for fill goals rifles that was crushed by always hearing that it is fun to shoot, but thats all. No use for anything other than Guinea Fowl and small rabbits.I am by no means contradicting your information, I have never even shot one, only wanted one because as a kid I had a live round on my bed side table. Treasure!Have a .204 -.22 - .223 ?
    I grew up with a bunch of .22LR in the safe and an old Savage in Hornet I progressed onto. Shot my first Bushbuck, Warthog, Bushpig and Baboon with it amongst other game. Used to cull the Grey Duiker at night digging up the chicory fields.One of those calibers that punches above its weight. The report is low so I don't even suppress mine. I eventually settled on a BSA Hunter with a fixed hinged floor plate and mini action. I would not be able to guess how many hogs I've shot with it.I use a 22-250 a lot as well but that's a different league of .22 centerfire. 33 grains of powder vs 10 grains for the hornet. Big scope vs a little Leupold 2-7x33. Everything just becomes compact and light. Sexy little cartridge too...like a mini 450/400 NE...With all of the above said it needs to be used within its boundaries. Larger stuff under 100m and the lighter critters up to 200m. I say it's a 150m gun.

I got hold of some Aguila Rifle Match Competition ammo and tested it this morning, shooting off a bench at 50m. Smallest group was ˝" (1 moa) and largest was 3/4" (1.5 moa). About half the size of the groups shot with the Eley HV hollow points so the rifle seems to be accurate with ammo it likes. The Aguila's impacted almost 2" higher at 50m than the Eley's.

I will stick with the Eley's for problem animal control for the moment.

I'm still debating whether to shorten the barrel and fit a supressor.

Have anyone here used hollow point subsonic ammo on small game/small problem animals (guinea fowl, hare, vervet monkeys) out to 50m?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast