Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 8.5x55 Blaser: A solution looking for a problem

So here is an interesting cartridge.

I found a case on the range the other day, and I thought I'll write something about it.

According to the Norma reloading data, the 8.5x55 Blaser shoots a 230gr 338 cal bullet at 2674fps. For reference, the same bullet leaves the 338 Win Mag at 2753 fps.

At a quick glance, it looks like a 338 Federal, but as can be seen from the photos, and the published velocities, it's quite a bit beefier.

The 8.5x55 Blaser is touted as being optimized for short barrels (18" to 20"), ideally running a suppressor. I'm not clued up on the physics involved with the case design. I would imagine that a cartridge optimized for shorter barrel, should also have 100% powder burn within 18".
    https://www.blaser.de/en/produkte/mu...5-x-55-blaser/

Blaser sale's pitch appeals to me, but I'm pretty sure it is a solution looking for a problem.

Here in Germany, short barrels are very popular. Why the other hunters like them I can't say, but I like a short barrel because its easier to manuver in and out of a car. Secondly, short rifles are easier to get into, and out of cramped high chairs in the dead of night.

Blaser basically designed this particular cartridge with their rifles in mind. By design the Blaser R8 is a short rifle, even with a 22" barrel. They become hobbit sized rifles once you add a 20" or 18" barrel. This advantage is sacrificed with the addition of a suppressor, but even then it will still he shorter than a comparable traditional bolt action rifle.

The 8.5x55 Blaser is following in the footsteps of the 8.5x63 Reb, which has a cult following here in Germany.

The Reb is almost, but not quite a 338-06. It's got a sharper shoulder which equates to an increase in case volume, which helps push the bullet out faster. Blaser still makes barrels for it, and I've seen a couple of other rifles that probably belonged to small production runs for the German market. https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....-338-06.16164/

Why someone would need a 8.5x55 Blaser calibre is open for debate. The .308 Win and 30-06 Springfield are by far the most common calibers here, and for good reason. There is also a significant cost factor to the ammo, and reloading components.

Calibres like the 8.5x63 Reb and
    8.5 x55 Blaser becomes tad more relevant when one considers driven hunting. Especially for hunters who do it often.

I've met one hunter who swears by his Blaser R8 in 8.5x63 Reb. He does however also hunt more driven hunts in a season than I will do in a lifetime. (Mostly because I am not financially independent or happily divorced. He is both :D ). He likes the energy this .338 calibre brings on target.

Make no mistake, wild boar are tough. They die like everything else when you hit them right, but if your shot is not on target, you are in for an interesting follow up. There are hunters here who specializes in following up boar. They are usually recognizable by their helmets with face guard, and pants made of kevlar. They also cary a short rifle, and a big knife. Some even carry spears. As a general rule, the shooter shows them where they were standing, and where the pig was when the shot broke. After that the shooter has no part in the follow up.

So for people who shoot running boar often, at the same shoots year after year, there is an incentive to shoot the biggest calibre possible. They want to anchor the pigs, or failing that, they want to cause as much damage as possible to the pig. If you build a reputation of being the shooter who wounds pigs, there will come a point where your invitation for the next hunt gets lost in the mail.

I've also spoken to a Dutch hunter who drove over to Eastern Germany almost immediately after the Wall came down. He leased a large tract of land with a strong population of pigs. He hunted there until recently, and his son has now taken over the lease agreement. They do 3 big driven hunts there a year. He himself and his son have always used the 30-06, and have never seen a reason to change.

So back to the original question, why does someone need a 8.5x55 Blaser? The answer is why not. :)

User

Default Re: 8.5x55 Blaser: A solution looking for a problem

That is the best reason for toy afterall! Thanks for the writeup, had never heard of the cartridge.

The more I use medium bores, the more I appreciate them. I own a 9.3x62 and a .375 H&H and I certainly see a .338 somewhere in my future. Having said that and maybe because my 9.3 is a 9.3x62, if I do buy a .338 it will be on a magnum case, probably a .338 win mag but I won't turn up my nose at a .340 Weatherby.

If I owned a .375 but no 9.3x62, I would certainly look at a milder .338, in SA a .338-'06 or .338 Sabi (the 8.5x63 Reb sounds very similar to the Sabi) would make sense.

I could really do with a "why not" rifle!

Nice write up!

User

Should make a very good bushveld rifle.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Mmmmm, yes. It is an interesting piece of brass this. It seems to fit somewhere between others with no others exactly like it and this should give it a purpose. Between a 338-06 and 9,3x62 about then? It really fills the gap between the 30-06 and 9,3x62 without going real .338 Magnum velocities and recoil.

But myself like the "old" and "original" and therefore would opt for a 9,3x62 should I need a rifle to fit between my 30-06 and .404 Jeffery.

Necking it up to a Wildcat to take 9,3 mm bullets would make some sense. A bit more case volume than the 9,3x62. But then again I always ask myself: "What do you want to do with the extra 100-150 fps? You almost never hunt further than 200 m."

User

Socrates

Nice find - Never heard of the calibre before. I hunt with a 308 but most of the guys at the hunting club uses 300wm, 9.3x62, 30-06 and even a 93x74. The problem that I have with the 300wm is that the guy shooting it weighs around 80kgs and tries to send his 3 bullets towards the boar as soon as possible. He's already anticipating the recoil and causing misses and wounded animals.

Let me know if you ever want to come for a driven hunt in the South of France - We are around and hour north of Marseilles airport.

Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Socrates

Nice find - Never heard of the calibre before. I hunt with a 308 but most of the guys at the hunting club uses 300wm, 9.3x62, 30-06 and even a 93x74. The problem that I have with the 300wm is that the guy shooting it weighs around 80kgs and tries to send his 3 bullets towards the boar as soon as possible. He's already anticipating the recoil and causing misses and wounded animals.

Let me know if you ever want to come for a driven hunt in the South of France - We are around and hour north of Marseilles airport.

Cheers
    My sister and her husband live in Antibes. I am insanely jealous of you guys in the South of France. It's gorgeous there, and beats the hell out of where I live in terms of scenery and cuisine.

It's so flat here, you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. And don't get me started on the cuisine. The Dutch made their fortune in trading spices, but not once did it occur to them to keep a bit on the side for cooking. The Germans across the border did not fare any better.

To get back to boar hunting, it seems there is something to be said for faster calibres. One requires less lead. I read once that the Prince Albrecht from Wild Boar Fever fame use(d) a 270 Win and a 7mm Rem Mag for all his hunting. But fast only helps you if you can get the bullet on target.

How do you guys do follow ups?

Thanks for the offer. Always keen for hunting oppertunities. I whish I could offer the same, but unfortunately it's a huge struggle here to get hunting oppertunities.

Currently waiting for Home Affairs to confirm my renunciation. Once I've got my German citizenship I'm traveling visa free to the UK for some staking there. I'm especially interested in Muntjac and Chinese water deer.

If you're keen, send me your contact details offline. I have two other Saffer hunting companions here. We're looking at organizing a red stag hunt in Scotland. The more the merrier.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    My sister and her husband live in Antibes. I am insanely jealous of you guys in the South of France. It's gorgeous there, and beats the hell out of where I live in terms of scenery and cuisine.

It's so flat here, you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. And don't get me started on the cuisine. The Dutch made their fortune in trading spices, but not once did it occur to them to keep a bit on the side for cooking. The Germans across the border did not fare any better.

To get back to boar hunting, it seems there is something to be said for faster calibres. One requires less lead. I read once that the Prince Albrecht from Wild Boar Fever fame use(d) a 270 Win and a 7mm Rem Mag for all his hunting. But fast only helps you if you can get the bullet on target.

How do you guys do follow ups?

Thanks for the offer. Always keen for hunting oppertunities. I whish I could offer the same, but unfortunately it's a huge struggle here to get hunting oppertunities.

Currently waiting for Home Affairs to confirm my renunciation. Once I've got my German citizenship I'm traveling visa free to the UK for some staking there. I'm especially interested in Muntjac and Chinese water deer.

If you're keen, send me your contact details offline. I have two other Saffer hunting companions here. We're looking at organizing a red stag hunt in Scotland. The more the merrier.

My brother lives in England and hunts a lot over there. I'll ask him if he can hook you up with Chinese water deer and Muntjac. I'll be hunting in Les Alpilles on Saturday. Haven't been on a lot of hunts this season so far. Only saw one boar so far and at 170m - didn't shoot it because it would have been too difficult to get out - But then had to go and drag out another boar... I'll send you my details via PM

Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    My brother lives in England and hunts a lot over there. I'll ask him if he can hook you up with Chinese water deer and Muntjac. I'll be hunting in Les Alpilles on Saturday. Haven't been on a lot of hunts this season so far. Only saw one boar so far and at 170m - didn't shoot it because it would have been too difficult to get out - But then had to go and drag out another boar... I'll send you my details via PM

Cheers
    That would be sweet. We have a location where red calves and cows can be be shot for relatively cheap. Would rather spend a week doing that, than spend the same money on a stag and hunt two days. :)

Just spoke to my Saffer buddy here. We were both invited for driven hunts in the Hessen State Forrest . He went today, and will again in January. I'm up in December.

Just over a 100 hunters, with 70 animal shot. Reds, roe and boar were open. He saw a boar and a couple of roe, but they were on the wrong side of the stand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast