Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Is a .22 air rifle legal

What I mean is what do you want from your airrifle? Accuracy ? , Speed?, Power? Open sights ? scope ?

Dont make the mistake many make by going for POWER. Accuracy is what you really want and accuracy and power are not really bedmates.

A 8.4gr .177 pellet leaving the barrel at 780 fps can kill a rocky at 80m , but only if it can hit it in the killzone.

A springpiston airrifle has a lot of parts that move in the rifle after the trigger sear releases but before the pellet even starts to move along the barrel. This is not good for accuracy and the bigger the parts and the more force the bigger the movement.

The long and short of it is if you want to move a pellet at a speed higher than 800 fps forget a springer , get yourself a PCP.
    800fps is more than enough though, but to get a rifle at just the right spot it needs tuning by an expert.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    Funny enough you can buy it off wantitall.co.za and get it delivered to your front door? Why would they allow you to buy it online if its illegal?
    Erm. . . , because it is not illegal , it really is 5.5mm

Have looked at this issue myself and Bex makes some very valid points. A .22 pellet gun or gun that shoots a 5.5mm pellet requires a licence. The most powerful gun you can get that does not require a licence is a .20 caliber that shoots a 5mm pellet. I've only seen them available as PCP rifles. You can get the Evanix locally, very nice, but quite pricey.
    If anyone knows of any other suppliers in SA that do a .20 I'd be interested in hearing about them. Also if any manufacturers do spring loaded .20 air rifles.

The rifle will mainly be used for target practise and a cheap solution to make me a more accurate rifleman.
    Occationaly could be used for varmint controll. I believe if you take the rifle to a gunsmith and he can measure the barrel
    at 5.5 mm he can give you a certificate to confirm that and that is enough to make it legal? Does anybody know about this?>

Also does a 6mm BB gun also require a licence? I would like to get some for my kids but they dont have there competency yet?

User

You can go the Gunsmith route if you have trouble with Customs , but you should be fine.

User

I'll say this one more time,use it or don't.5,5mm air rifles are legal.I have two.Bought the spring gun over the counter and imported the other,it came through customs,was opened,checked and cleared.With regards to 5mm,I have a 5mm pcp rifle and 5mm pistol pcp.I also had a 5mm weirauch springer but sold it.
    Many 5,5 guns available locally.See www.airrifle.co.za
    Safari and outdoor also have 5,5 pcp and springers on special at the moment in PTA.

User

The Safari and Outdoor prices are very good.

User

My understanding is that anything higher than 12 joules requires a license. With that said could you then download your .22 air rifle spring to make it 12 joules or less and have it de-regulated?.

My .22/5.5 air rifle could not be re-licensed under the new act renewals due to CFR not knowing how to license it. I am therefore thinking of the above as a option so that I can keep it. I am not sure if they have since then come up with a way to license them or most likely disarm them from there owners

User

Your 5.5mm cannot be licenced because it doesnt require a license. Don't scratch where it doesn't itch.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    Your 5.5mm cannot be licenced because it doesnt require a license. Don't scratch where it doesn't itch.
    It is stamped 22/5.5/5.6

User

A wellknown and respected airrifle enthusiast in SA took his 5,5 to the copshop and asked them to process a liscence application for it.They told him to bugger off and keep it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast