Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default 'They should not be kept as pets': Foundation calls for castration, sterilisation of pit bulls

https://www.news24.com/news24/southa...bulls-20221013

Opinions? Is this a dangerous breed of dog, or is it more about how the dog is treated and raised that determines whether it is a threat?

I myself have never had any direct experience with pitbulls, although admittedly what I have heard is not good and have zero desire of ever owning one.

And please keep the innocent child victim of this mauling and his family in your thoughts and prayers

User

Default Re: 'They should not be kept as pets': Foundation calls for castration, sterilisation of pit bulls

As an afterthought, for this foundation to call for a banning pitbulls but simultaneously saying the police should start using them seems to be a contradiction in terms. Not sure pitbulls are smart enough to be properly trained as police dogs anyway (unlike, say, German Shepherds and Labradors, for example).

Either pitbulls are too dangerous for anyone to keep (including the police), or they are not.

User

Default Re: 'They should not be kept as pets': Foundation calls for castration, sterilisation of pit bulls

I've been calling for the castration and sterilization of Libs for years...

Much like this asinine motion my calls have fallen and will fall on deaf ears.

When I worked for 5 years in Atlantis.

95% of all dogs people owned there was PitBulls.

Most people buy or get dogs because they want a specific breed. But dont understand that that breed like a Beagle, Hound or GSP. Needs to be treated acording to their traits. And be stimulated as such.

Take them to walk or do stuff they were breed to do. Otherwise they will get up to mischief.

On Judge Judy she once said and not sure if true. As on TV. That a Pit Bull's jaws are in such away that its designed to be able to open wide and clinge down harder on something comapred to other breeds.

I love dogs. But Pit Bulls will never be on my list of to own. If a person wants a strong built dog. I would rather recommend a Staffie.

User

No, we should never support a blanket ban.

For, where will they go next…?

The problem is not the breed of dog.

I have a couple of pitbulls at the dog school where I decoy. I don't think that they are inherently more aggressive than any other breed. The same cannot be said of corgis and chihuahuas. The pits I have worked have often taken more agitation from me as a decoy in the beginning than some other breeds.

That said, when they do bite people the injuries tend to be more severe because of their capabilities.

In my view the majority of dog bites on children are not "unprovoked" or "without warning".

Children are allowed to run amok with dogs, pretty much doing what they like to them. Every time I see a "cute" picture of a child riding a dog or pulling ears or tails or putting its face into a dogs I want to vomit.

Growls in dogs should never be punished. Children ignoring a dog's growl should be punished and severely.

Small children should never be left alone with potentially dangerous things, including dogs.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Unfortunately the dog fighting syndicates in PE have been active for many years. Pitbull`s roam the streets because of
    uncontrolled breeding. Dogs of all breeds are stolen to use as bait when training Pitbull`s to fight. My neighbour nearly had his
    young Pitbull stolen in broad daylight. I know of two youngsters who were badly mauled by Pitbull`s. It is probably a nationwide
    problem.
    As a dog lover and owner I would hate to see harsh measures imposed on the breed but something must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    As an afterthought, for this foundation to call for a banning pitbulls but simultaneously saying the police should start using them seems to be a contradiction in terms. Not sure pitbulls are smart enough to be properly trained as police dogs anyway (unlike, say, German Shepherds and Labradors, for example).

Either pitbulls are too dangerous for anyone to keep (including the police), or they are not.
    The police are not capable of training any dogs these days. They dumped 300 at the SPCA a few weeks ago as "wash outs".

Pits are not really great choices for patrol or detection work.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Unfortunately the dog fighting syndicates in PE have been active for many years. Pitbull`s roam the streets because of
    uncontrolled breeding. Dogs of all breeds are stolen to use as bait when training Pitbull`s to fight. My neighbour nearly had his
    young Pitbull stolen in broad daylight. I know of two youngsters who were badly mauled by Pitbull`s. It is probably a nationwide
    problem.
    As a dog lover and owner I would hate to see harsh measures imposed on the breed but something must be done.
    Aggressively and violently pursue those involved in dog fighting. That is the something that must be done.

Banning a breed of dog because they are misused and misunderstood is like banning semi-auto rifles because they get used in cash in transit robberies.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Aggressively and violently pursue those involved in dog fighting. That is the something that must be done.

Banning a breed of dog because they are misused and misunderstood is like banning semi-auto rifles because they get used in cash in transit robberies.
    Dog fighting is controlled by the usual suspects who control the drugs, perlemoen poaching, armed robberies etc. Like
    anywhere else they are loaded for bear and protected by the syndicates.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast